Our Brunch and Learn Series offers a morning of learning about a variety of topics from expert EMDR clinicians while enjoying a light brunch. Sponsored by EMDR & Beyond LLC,1501 42nd Street Suite 210, West DesMoines, Iowa.
Cost: $70 3.5 EMDRIA Credits & 3.5 CE'S
Client resistance is a common barrier that EMDR therapists face. This presentation will address a number of new and existing strategies for working with resistant adolescents and adults that can be used throughout the 8 phases of EMDR therapy.
About the Presenter:
Elyse Harper, LMFT is an Approved Consultant and EMDR Consulting Basic Training Coach. As an experienced and skillful clinician and trainer, she provides training for the University of Iowa National Resource Center on Family Centered Practice. She is the owner and trainer of Elyse Harper LLC.
Who should attend? Any mental health professional who has attended at least Part 1 of a Basic EMDR course.
8:00 - 8:30 Registration
8:30-8:45 Understanding Resistance
Client or Therapist Avoidance?
8:45 -10:15 Adolescents
“7 Deadly Sins of Working with Teens”
Partnering with Parents
EMDR Phases 1 & 2:
Refusal to Participate
EMDR Phases 3 & 4
Rolling with Resistance
10:15 – 10:30 Break
10:30 – 12:00 Adults
EMDR “Pitch” to Adults
EMDR Phase 3 & 4
Identity and Overcome Barriers to Processing
New Technique “The Hallway” (Demo and Practice)
New Technique “Wall to Wall Processing” (Demo and Practice)
- Participants will be able to describe strategies to build and maintain rapport with adolescent clients.
- Participants will be able to describe common therapist pitfalls in working with resistant clients.
- Participants will be able to apply strategies to introduce and engage resistant clients in EMDR processing
- Participants will be able to implement a new processing strategy “The Hallway” to use with avoidant and/or resistant clients.
- Participants will be able to implement the technique Wall to Wall processing with their clients.