ONE DAY EMDR SPECIALTY WORKSHOP: EMDR SUCCESS WITH CHILDREN: INTEGRATION OF PLAY THERAPY INTERVENTIONS THROUGH 8 PHASES OF EMDR
Sponsored by Dr. Colleen M. Murray, Victor's Crown Christian Counseling Center
Interested in strengthening your skills in providing EMDR with children? Integrating play therapy interventions with EMDR therapy with your young clients? Better ways to introduce and successfully complete EMDR with reluctant children (and their parents)?
This one day training integrates play therapy and EMDR therapy to facili- tate treatment for children with one or more adverse life events. You will learn how to use directive and non-directive play therapy interventions to fa- cilitate application of the 8 phases of EMDR with children. Skills will be taught for providing EMDR with willing and unwilling participants as well as those lacking the resources participate in all of the EMDR phases. Ways to introduce EMDR therapy to children and parents, along with Interventions to improve relationships between child/ caregiver, and child/therapist will be addressed.
Saturday September 16, 2017 801 Historic 66 W Waynesville, MO 65583
Registration at www.eventbrite.com
Fees: $99 by August 16, 2017 (Early Bird Discount) $105 August 16-September 9, 2017.
6 hours of EMDRIA Credit (under review)
Cancellation Policy: Refunds up to 3 weeks prior to workshop minus $15 cancellation fee.
About the Presenter
Shanon Claussen, LISW, RPT-S, CADC is an EMDRIA Approved Therapist and Approved Consultant. She is also an EMDR facilitator/coach for EMDR Consulting Basic Trainings. She is the Clinical Supervisor of Behavioral Health Services at Mahaska Health Partnership in Oskaloosa, Iowa. Shanon's clinical experience in-
cludes work with all ages for individual, couples, family, groups, and substance abuse treatment.
Shanon has additional specialized training in Play Therapy, Theraplay® (at- tachment/relationship based play therapy modality), Sand Tray Therapy, Filial Therapy, and Substance Abuse treatment, and incorporates EMDR into each of these.
Shanon is a Registered Play Therapist Supervisor (RPT-S) and a Certified Al- cohol and Drug Counselor. She provides supervision for those working on becom- ing a Registered Play Therapist (RPT) or Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC), as well as toward independent licensure (LMSWs or LMHCs) and EMDR certification.
1. Learn at least 5 play therapy interventions to use with children in 8 phases of EMDR therapy.
2. Identify possible targets to reprocess through observation of the child’s play.
3. Learn effective play therapy interventions to improve relationships between the child & caregiver/child & therapist.
4. Identify resources that the child may be lacking or may need to strengthen (Resourcing in Phase 2, preparation phase) to facilitate Phase 4 reprocessing.
5. Be able to apply play therapy interventions specifically meeting the needs of the child throughout the session.
8:30 –9:00: Registration
9:00 –9:15: Welcome, Introduction, Agenda
9:15 –10:3): Overview: Incorporating Play Therapy and EMDR
• How do you start treatment?
• How long does treatment take? Parents want their child better now.
• Use of play to engage child in an appropriate developmental level
• Benefits of Play Therapy Interventions
10:40-12:00 Directive vs Non-DIrective Play therapy
• Directive and/or Non-Directive techniques. Which one do you choose? Learning the Directive Versus Nondirective “Dance”
• The Play Therapy Directive Technique Continuum–A Measure of the directiveness of a technique on a scale from 0-10 where:
0 = Non Directive Techniques (Absolute Least directive)
5= Use of 1⁄2 Non Directive Techniques & 1⁄2 Directive Techniques (Even mix of both)
10 = Use of only Directive Techniques (Absolute Most directive) Explanation of EMDR & Play Therapy to Caregivers & Child: Use of Metaphors
What to expect when children engage in EMDR (for child, therapist, caregiver), Video clip to illustrate how to explain EMDR to a child & to a caregiver Practice in Pairs: Clinicians Explain EMDR to child, Clinicians explain EMDR to Caregivers
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch 1:00 – 2:30
• Non Directive (Child Centered) Play Therapy Interventions to help implement phases of EMDR
• Demonstration of an EMDR session with Use of Non Directive Play Therapy Techniques (2 1⁄2 y.o. video)
• Directive Play Therapy Interventions, specifically Theraplay ® interventions, to help implement the phases of EMDR
• Theraplay ® Interventions to build or improve relationships between the child & caregiver or child & therapist
2:30-3:45 Video demonstration of an EMDR session with use of Directive Theraplay ® techniques (4 1⁄2 y.o. video)
• Use of play therapy interventions for Resourcing (calm place, container, strength- en resources/positive attributes)
• Identifying targets through the child’s play, and interactions between the caregiv- er & child
• Options for reprocessing & resourcing with children Drawing, storytelling, de- pict target with sand tray figures, act out target, 3rd person, movie, draw comic,etc.)
3:45-4:00 Information for additional training to improve Success Treating Children,
Questions & Wrap Up, Evaluations